I have been taking photographs since August 2002, and it has changed my life. I’ve gone from a high paid engineering job to landscape photographer, with a little bit of managing a climbing shop in between. Not finding inspiration or happiness in my career as an engineer in the south of England I spiralled downwards into despair and depression. The turnaround came when I inherited some money from my grandfather, Burt Baker, a famous bee-keeper. In my state of gloom and pursuing a course of blatant consumerism, I wanted something new and shiny! A camera, something I didn’t have, something else to own.
Something odd happened when I received the camera though. A shift in my world view, a sense of place and serenity whilst out taking landscape pictures. And people liked my photographs, stopping to admire my work wherever it was displayed! A dead end, suddenly I had options, an opening. So through the door I went and here I am, with you, on the other side.
Please note I am no longer based in the UK and that I am no longer accepting commercial photography commissions. This site is no longer actively maintained and is for reference only. Thank you to all who supported me over the years. It was a lot of fun meeting and working with you.
Mike's commercial clients include regional development agency One NorthEast, Admiral PR & Marketing, Centre for Life Newcastle, Living North Magazine, Northumberland Coastal Retreats (providing luxury cottages to rent in Northumberland), LD Mountain Centre specialist outdoor shop, East Midlands Development Agency, HayssenSandiacre packaging machinery, and Bellwood & Wright Fine Art gallery.
- Landscape photography - coastal, rural and urban.
- Panoramic photography including 360º Virtual Reality tours (landscapes, cityscapes and building interiors). Recent work includes in tour video and iPad support.
- Architectural photography.
- Detailed knowledge of the countryside and coast of North East England to select appropriate locations for a photoshoot.
- Stock photography covering North East England, Scotland and some parts of the Midlands.
How to buy a fine art limited edition Mike McFarlane photograph
Please visit Mike's on-line shop or enjoy Mike's work in the following galleries: